Thursday, April 29, 2010

Church Attire

What, exactly, is proper attire for attending church?

My neighbors back home, every sunday for Mass, dress to the nines. I mean it. Hats, gloves, heels, humble dresses, no jewelry or makeup in sight; men in suits shining their shoes while they waited outside. I love it. That is how I have always envisioned you had to dress for going to church. To me, it conveys respect - not only for God, but for the church, your community, and yourself.

However, many people seem to disregard proper clothing for church. Many friends of mine go in jeans and t-shirts, or mini-skirts and hooker-heels. There are people who show up in baseball jerseys and muddy torn jeans and sneakers; people who wear hats in church. It strikes me as, well, wrong.

Especially the hats part. Don't these people know that it is rude to wear a hat indoors? Let alone in a church...unless you are Jewish. While on the hat topic, I am also of the belief that your hair should look acceptable. At least brush it.

Some people dress up nicely for the "special" Masses, AKA the only time they attend church for Christmas and Easter Mass. This is, of course, another thing that strikes me as wrong. First, what is the point of only going to church only for two occasions? Second, I am of the opinion that every Mass is a "special Mass" - it's Mass. I can't really say much else but repeat "It's Mass...Mass!" over and over again, making sure I use proper emphasis.

I mean...you can't be that much of a believer if you go to church twice a year or don't have the respect to dress nicely while in a place of worship. That's what it comes down to for me, respect. Of course, there are those who argue that God doesn't care about what you wear. Well, if I am going into the house of God, I want to look nice, presentable. I wouldn't want to go to court or an interview looking a mess.

This isn't to say that I believe you should wear designer duds to church. Just, you know, look nice. Dress pants or dress (for those people who believe women shouldn't wear trousers), modest tops, not a lot of jewelry, etc. I suppose, in certain contexts, jeans would be acceptable - as long as they aren't ripped or muddied.

I, however, have never been to church. So I don't suppose my opinion counts very much in this realm, but I do plan on dressing nicely for the times I do attend church (starting in mid-May!).

No comments:

Post a Comment