Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Bible Versions

And so, my research has begun.

Last night I Googled for what seemed like hours looking for the most perfect version of the Bible. Finally I sighed, coming to the realization that there is no "one version" of the Bible that has EVERY SINGLE BOOK. I figure this is mostly because nobody can agree which books should and should not be included.


Then, I realized a good, decent looking leather Bible that would hold up against wear and tear costs a lot of money. Not nearly as much as my school textbooks - $300 for a biology book? - but the thought of spending my precious money when my balance is steadily dwindling away (no more shopping), and I have to survive the rest of the school year with only $75 in cash (gotta make it last 4 weeks...), its overwhelming.

This is the part where I whine about growing up. I'm hoping for a job this summer.

After that heartbreaking realization - no awesome leather book for me - I thought maybe I could use the family Bible. Brilliant right? Problem is, there is no family Bible. There was one. At some point. It was hidden away in the basement and most likely ruined during one of the three times the basement has flooded (hurricane, and two instances of melting snow) in the past 10 years.

So I had to settle for a cheap paperback version. I hope it will stand up - I can not handle the thought of having to duct tape my Bible together.

I got this bad boy:


The Holy Bible: Revised Standard Version Second Catholic Edition from Ignatius Press

But then I figured, might as well go the whole nine yards, so I got these as well:

New Testament And Psalms: Revised Standard Version Second Catholic Edition from Ignatius Press


The Rosary Handbook: A Guide for Newcomers, Old-Timers, and Those in Between by Mitch Finley

Pocket Book of Catholic Prayers (Pocket Book Series) by Lawrence G. Lovasik

Catholic Novenas (Pocket Book Series) by Lawrence G. Lovasik


I decided not to get the devotionals book from the Pocket Book Series - unless someone suggests otherwise, are devotionals really needed?. But then, I was like "well, I can't have prayers to saints and angels and not know much about the saints and angels", so I, yet again, caved to my overzealous need for knowledge and got two more books (and one on the Science of Nothing, but this is not the blog for that!):

The Oxford Dictionary of Saints (Oxford Paperback Reference) by David Hugh Farmer

Angels: Who They Are and How They Help--What the Bible Reveals by Dr. David Jeremiah


(I had a hard time choosing this one over the other, which I admittedly might buy at a later date)

So there you have it. $90 worth of books. Oops.

If you would like to follow my daily readings, when I begin, you can! If you don't have the same version as I do, that's fine too (not everyone is Catholic, after all, and everyone is welcome here - regardless of religious preference), in the end I highly doubt it matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment